Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Who woulda guessed? Coney Island twice in 2 weeks!

Growing up in New Jersey, I have visited New York many a time and have seen many of the sites...Ellis Island, FAO Schwartz, Statue of Liberty...the list continues on. For this past month however, there were a couple of less conventional stops I wanted to make in the area. Coney Island to me seemed both decadent and run down, and my childhood friend and I thought it would be a cool day trip to catch some sun, take some pictures, and eat a corn dog--which I made her do as I no longer eat meat but wanted to document her experience. C.I. (as I like to call it) was all I imagined and more; ornate, depressing, run-down, and from another time. Also, expensive. The rides were each about 7 dollars a pop, so we chose the Wonder Wheel, a NYC landmark with a promising view. I had been on ferris wheels before, but I kid you not when I say we were terrified. Some of the carts swing and you feel as though they will become unhinged and you will fly off the wheel and plummet to the bottom. I mean, my palms were sweating and we closed our eyes as we took pictures with our cameras. Never again, we swore to each other. The next day at my first day of class, I learned I would be returning to Coney Island to find a subject to create an 8 page brochure in InDesign. Ha! I felt ahead of the game....
other Coney Island inspired pamplets
Here are both a few photos of the final brochure as well as a minimized page by page layout. The Wonder Wheel was my theme, as I attempted to create a mood of fear and death of the ride...the back cover signifying the idea that no soul that rides the Wonder Wheel ever leaves Coney Island...Ahhh

No comments:

Post a Comment