Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Highline Book

One of the most serene places I visited in New York was the High Line in Chelsea, a public park built on an old elevated freight train rail. My Graphic Design class took a field trip there, and from our experiences and photographs we were asked to create an accordion book. Though the theme could be of our choice, our book had to include text, some sort of line element, and only two colors plus shades of grey. Because of technology advancements, hand-made books are almost an art form of the past--time consuming and difficult to mass produce. That is also what I think makes them so special.
Here is the book I created. My theme was boundaries and I used the yellow and green to emphasize the contrast between the natural and man-made environments. Because my color and text were incorporated mainly through collage, I played a lot with the various textures of paper, photographs and small touches of ink. I was also able to add in additional pages which gave a more three-dimensional effect to each page.

No comments:

Post a Comment