Monday, August 16, 2010

Double Whammy

Skinner
Skinner

Ferris Plock
Ferris Plock
On Saturday, I went to two art openings at White Walls and Shooting Gallery where two friends of mine have been working hard to get the shows up.  Artists Skinner and Ferris Plock were featured and the turnout was very impressive. Skinner's show "The Fear You May Know" featured a lot of fantasy art, or what I like to think of as art directed to men which reminds them of the comics and plastic figurines of their childhood. Personally, these were not the types of pieces I would want to hang in my home, but because of the attention to small detail and intricate stories of destruction and conflict, were certainly interesting and offered a lot to look at. Luckily, I had the pleasure of going through the work with my dear friend Tim and he continually pointed out aspects that reminded him of his childhood. We both also agreed that Skinner uses a lot of different painting techniques within a single piece (like a hazy spraypainted backdrop) that is very effective. In particular, Skinner's ability to incorporate a drip effect with actually adds to the story.
Ferris Plock, a San Francisco artist, had his "Rest for the Wicked" show where his works depicted the the types of characters I would see when I walk around the city. I really like Ferris's work; it's thoughtful, it also had great attention to detail, without being over the top cutsy or pretentious. I was totally reminded of Klimt's "The Kiss" at this show and was I rich, I would have bought some of work. He is also thematic with his colors, and has a couple different stories grouped within his figures. I loved the sneakers, and all the animalistic faces. It made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment