Thursday, October 7, 2010

SF nostalgia

Thank you M and T. the hosts of my surprise going away--very surprising and the most thoughtful thing ever. Tim even made tofu.
Ok, so I made the big move, and let me tell you, I must have some sort of emotional blockage because I don't think I realized I was going to uproot my entire life until two days ago, two days after I left. Maybe it's because I was sleep deprived, maybe it was the rain, maybe it's the fact that I've been listening to Fleetwood Mac non-stop (and not in that "let me flail my arms and wear loose hippy clothes way, but that, let me be trapped in my own thoughts--as I type, "Landslide" plays in the background), but Tuesday, I poured a tall glass of wine, and I wallowed. Which is ok, because I also believe (even if I don't always follow my own advice) that you have to really feel an emotion, immerse yourself, then let it go....even as I say this, "Say that you Love me" comes on and I'm snapping my fingers.So firstly, I apologize for being a bad blogger, I have no real excuse except for the fact that I just moved 3000 across the country. But now, now my friends, I am back. This post is a tribute to San Francisco; to my last days there, to my favorite people, happy places, and delicious meals. Salute.
E cupcakes. delicious




Ahh the memories. B&W pix of the past three years everywhere. I plan on making a book.
 I should also mention that I was working my job up into the end of my time there, and despite being overwhelmed, I really wanted to hit all of my favorite places before I left. Farmer's market and excessive samples, Delores park, Blue Bottle in Hayes Valley, mainly a ton of walking...one of the things I will miss most. But before I sold my bike, Gringo Viejo, I wanted to him out for one last cruise. And because he can't handle the hills the way he once could, I took him to the Ocean Beach, a place I like to be contemplative, or at least pretend to be.
 After the ride I needed a snack. So I stopped at Trouble Cafe for some iced coffee and a delicious piece of Cinnamon Toast--so simple yet so wonderful. I think the bread is from Outerlands (in my opinion, one of the most thoughtful restaurants in the city; You can watch the owner baking bread for the next day, and it is amazing.)

 Then I went to General Store, a place I had always wanted to check out. A lot like the Curiosity Shoppe in the mission, but with a beachy vibe. This is from the garden in the back---I want this magical greenhouse.
One of the people i will miss most is my good friend Jen, because she is the lady I lunch with. And personally, i think lunch is my favorite meal to go out to; it's cheaper, its less crowded, and I love the occasional glass of wine in the afternoon--it allows me to feel European. For our last meal, she took me to YAMO, a hole-in-the-wall burmese/chinese restaurant that I would argue is on par with Burma Superstar, if not better. There are 8 stools, and three ladies constantly cooking and you can watch it all. We each had a coconut water (macheted open in front of us) a delightfully spicy tea leaf salad, and an entree for 15$. And we over-ordered. And I wanted to be rolled home. But totally worth it. Thanks Jen for a great last lunch
where EVERYTHING is cooked.

Tofu on cold sesame noodles. Delightful duality of sweet and spicy.


Hands-down, the best tea leaf salad in the city.
So I've gotten it out, and I feel better. Thanks for reading. Hasta Luego San Francisco. Catch ya on the flip. Hopefully this next phase gives me more to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment