Monday, September 20, 2010

linoleum printing

Yesterday I went down to Potrero Hill with by friend Gordo to check out an event--the Roadworks Steamroller Street Fair-- put on by the SFCB (San Francisco Center for the Book). Block printing is one of the oldest and simplest forms of making mainly copies of the same image. Recently, we have seen a resurgence in the Bay Area craft community where linoleum printing has become quite popular. I believe this is because there is such a strong DIY culture here and printing (linoleum or block) still allows the hand-drawn aesthetic. At the fair, both established artists and newbies had their images printed using a large steamroller on Rhode Island blvd. I saw two artists whose work I liked;
www.coffeencream.com (website under construction, but she also makes really cool books)
www.dandylionpress.com
Both are local to San Francisco.
 I have been really into block-printing recently as Gordo and I made some of our own just last week. Not as professional looking as the ones we saw yesterday, but still very fun. Im going to incorporate my flying sheep into my sketchbook for the sketchbook project.

No comments:

Post a Comment